Friday, April 22, 2011

Almost Spring, Atomic Wings in the Slope

Today started off right. At lunch (by lunch I mean a post-breakfast snack) I was treated to a bottle of home brewed IPA by my buddy Brian. It was similar to Dogfish 90 but, better. Medium bodied, malty, hoppy and only a few weeks old. Nothing beats fresh, bottle-conditioned goodness. That kind of set the scope for the day....which also consisted of a home-made ice cream cookie sandwich. (I smelled the cookies baking as I rolled in to work)

By the time I got back to Brooklyn after work, it was getting late so we decided to order wings from Atomic Wings on 9th Street and 5th Avenue. In the meantime I finished off what was left of a growler of my own home brew. It was another IPA, lighter in malt but great hop flavor and a clean, fresh taste.

The wings were good and pretty consistent. I ordered the 10 pack but, got at least 13 wings...all for $7.99. Sweet.... I will say, I was surprised at how good they were since I've been to Atomic Wings many times and was never too impressed.  I stand corrected. Good sauce, good size to the wings/drums and no complaints on the portion/price ratio.

 I like to think I have the will power to avoid known sub-par wings but, sometimes that fiend is hard to control and tonight it paid off nicely.

To round the day off right, I cracked a bottle of home brew I had conditioning in my fridge. It was given to me courtesy of my buddy Jeremy who lives down the block. He brewed a bock beer and used lager yeast for cold fermentation. It was a strong, malty beer that tasted fresh and silky.

Word to the mothership....

No comments:

Post a Comment